The Heyday Inn is a two-story wood structure that is currently operated as a restaurant and bar. The ground floor contains a dinning room, bar, restrooms, private meeting room, and kitchen facilities. The top story is an apartment where the current owners reside. The private meeting room is the weekly meeting location for the Smith Valley Rotary Club and the Soroptimist International of Smith Valley.
The Heyday Inn was built around 1875 by Zadok Pierce. It was at the time called Pierce Station, which was a grocery store, hotel and feed store. By stagecoach travelers would come from the V&T train station in Minden to Genoa, then to Mountain House for dinner. Then onward across 11-mile flat, across the West Walker River and down Hoye Canyon to Pierce Station where the stage line ended. Passengers on their way to Sweetwater, Bridgeport, Bodie and Aurora would spend the night. The next day a spring wagon would take the passengers and mail the rest of their journey. In 1903 W. E. Reading and Gould Reading from Bodie bought Pierce Station. They changed the name to W. E. Reading General Merchandise. They served the valley ranchers and mining towns in the area. Around 1945 Perry and Gerri Aikens Bought W. E. Reading Store and called it Heyday Inn. They operated as a bar and restaurant until the early sixties when they sold it. In 1980 Bill and Sherri Carlson and John and Marilyn Ithurburu purchased it from Earnest Grosso. They did all the remodeling themselves and opened in January of 1983, roughly 100 years since it was built. The outside of the building is all original but the inside was all redone. On July 1st. 2001, Bill and Ellie Bohlin took over operation of the Heyday Inn and continue to operate as a restaurant and bar.
The current owners of the Heyday Inn are aware of its historic value to the community. No proactive community activities are required to protect this site.